Deploy and scale applications in seconds, without locking yourself into a single cloud.
Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service, providing a choice of clouds, developer frameworks and application services. Initiated by VMware, with broad industry support, Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications. It is an open source project and is available through a variety of private cloud distributions and public cloud instances, includingCloudFoundry.com.
What is Open Platform as a Service (PaaS)?
Each generation of computing ushers in a new application platform. In the cloud era, the application platform will be delivered as a service, often described as Platform as a Service (PaaS). PaaS makes it much easier to deploy, run and scale applications.
Not all PaaS offerings are created equal. Some have limited language and framework support, do not deliver key application services needed for cloud applications, or restrict deployment to a single cloud. By offering an open PaaS, you get a choice of clouds for deployment, frameworks for development and application services for running your application. And as an open source project, there is a community both contributing and supporting Cloud Foundry.
Why Cloud Foundry?
Developers Agility - No one between you and your application Friction-free way to develop, test and deploy applications. Cloud Foundry lets developers focus on writing their applications and not meddling with middleware and infrastructure. While providing self-service access to a choice of high productivity frameworks and application services, developers can quickly build and test next generation applications on their own laptop and scale to the cloud with no code changes.
Optimized Software Delivery - Portability without changes – Dev/Test/Production, Private/Public clouds Write your application once, and test, scale and deploy to production without changing your code. Preserve cloud deployment options across private, public and hybrid clouds. Cloud Foundry enables applications architects and operation teams to reduce time to market by shortening the software delivery pipeline and reduce application backlog.
Open System - The freedom to choose Cloud Foundry gives developers what they want…choice:
- Choice of clouds for deployment, across public, private and hybrid clouds, including CloudFoundry.com – VMware’s operated Cloud Service, Micro Cloud Foundry™ – the industry first downloadable PaaS to run on a developer laptop, and dozens of partner clouds running on private or public infrastructures including vSphere/vCloud, AWS, OpenStack, Rackspace, Ubuntu and more.
- Choice of industry standard frameworks including Spring for Java, Ruby for Rails and Sinatra, node.js, Grails, Scala on Lift and more via partners (e.g. Python, PHP).
- Choice of application services including RabbitMQ and vFabric PostgreSQL from VMware and MySQL, MongoDB, Redis and more from third parties and the open source community.
- Extensible architecture that enables developers and architects to “future proof” their organizations for rapid cloud innovation.
- A Community open-source project (www.cloudfoundry.org) – Allows any developer to access, evaluate and contribute. Including integrating other frameworks, adding application services and deploying to other infrastructure clouds.